Homemade lemon curd is a smooth, creamy topping that can be spooned onto so many delicious things! It’s packed full of fresh lemon flavor, yet sweet and rich. Store bought lemon curd just can’t come close to this homemade version!
If you are reading this post, then it must have peaked your curiosity as a fellow “lemon” lover! I’m a lemon connoisseur! I love the tang, often mixed with the sweets in desserts. Pair it with berries and I’m all in! If you’ve never had lemon curd before, well get ready to live my friend! It’s like the Super Bowl for lemon lovers!
What is Lemon Curd?
- Lemon Curd is a smooth, creamy, rich and tart spread or topping. It’s made with lots of lemon zest, lemon juice, eggs, butter, sugar and a bit of salt. It all comes together on the stove top where it thickens up into a smooth custard like texture.
Lemon Curd is packed full of fragrant and flavorful lemon zest! Using fresh lemons makes this homemade topping so much better than anything store bought! We’ll put those lemons to work and use both the lemon zest and lemon juice!
Uses for Lemon Curd
- Topping for scones, muffins or crepes
- Cake fillings
- Top fresh berries with whipped cream and lemon curd
- Top on pancakes or wafflles, along with berries and whipped cream
- French toast
- Top on cheesecake
Any way you enjoy it, you won’t be disappointed!
Making Lemon Curd is a process of combining the ingredients in an electric mixer and then cooking on the stovetop on low heat. Get your arm workout in and stir constantly for about 10 minutes. (I promise, it pays off!) Be sure to keep the heat low to avoid burning the mixture.
Make a large batch while lemons are in season. Freeze any extra curd for up to 3 months and use later. I have done this several times. I love being able to grab some lemon curd out of the freezer every time I make something that needs that rich tart topping!Print
Homemade lemon curd is a smooth, creamy topping that can be spooned onto so many delicious things! It’s packed full of fresh lemon flavor yet sweet and rich. Store bought lemon curd just can’t come close to this homemade version!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 3 cups 1x
- 4 lemons
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- Zest the lemons and set the zest aside.
- Juice enough of the lemons to get 1/2 cup lemon juice. Strain and set aside.
- In an electric mixer, combine the sugar and lemon zest until the zest is finely mixed into the sugar.
- Add the butter and cream until smooth and fluffy, about two minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Add the lemon juice and salt and mix well. The mixture may separate a bit at this point-don’t panic. It will smooth out on the stovetop.
- Pour the mixture into a sauce pan over low heat. Stir constantly with a wire whisk until mixture thickens, about 10 minutes. The lemon curd will thicken at about 175°F, or just below a simmer.
- Remove from heat and let it set as it comes to room temperature. Place in airtight container and refrigerate until ready to use. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving.
- Refrigerate in airtight container for up to 1 week. Freeze for up to 3 months.