This sweet roll is the perfect celebration of all the S’mores flavors! It’s filled with a creamy Nutella mixture and topped with lots of sweet layers like Biscoff cookie butter, a marshmallow cream frosting and even more Nutella! This rich sweet roll is a S’mores lover’s dream! Use my Master Roll Dough recipe for a fluffy, rich bread dough!
You should know something about me – I’m an absolute fanatic about anything S’mores related! If you’ve made my S’mores Cookies, then you know I’m always up for any variation of this classic campfire treat! If I’m being totally honest, whenever possible, I will get a favorite dessert wrapped up in fluffy bread…it’s kind of my thing!
My S’mores Sweet Roll is one of my top sellers from my former bakery days! I sold thousands of these sweet treats and I’m excited to bring it to your home!
Use my Master Roll Dough for this recipe!
- This recipe uses my Master Roll Dough – a dough that is so versatile and delicious! I use it for my Crescent Dinner Rolls, Cinnamon Rolls and lots of other sweet roll variations. Many of these recipes can be found in my Baking Academy – a fun community I created, made up of bakers developing their skills in the kitchen. Be sure to check it out! We have lots of fun together! I’ll teach you how to maximize your use of my Master Roll Dough and get so many different recipes out of using just this one dough!
My S’mores Sweet Rolls have ALL the elements that we’re looking for in a S’mores treat! The chocolate will get spread into the filling, by way of Nutella! The graham cracker flavor gets topped on the baked rolls with Biscoff Cookie Butter. And the marshmallow is making an appearance by adding Marshmallow Creme to the frosting!
Steps to make S’mores Sweet Rolls
There are several steps to making this decadent dessert, but each ingredient builds that sweet S’more flavor. They all work together to create the ultimate treat! While the dough is completing its first rise, it’s a great time to gather all the elements to assemble this recipe!
- Prepare my Master Roll Dough and let rise until doubled in size.
- While dough is rising, prepare the Nutella Filling and the Marshmallow Frosting. Get all of the additional toppings prepared and set aside for easy assembly.
- Roll out dough and fill with Nutella Filling, cinnamon and walnuts
- Let those bad boys rise in the pan until doubled in size.
- Bake until golden around the edges. Allow to cool.
- Spread Biscoff Cookie Butter on the tops to get that cookie flavor!
- Frost with the Marshmallow Frosting.
- Drizzle on more of the Nutella mixture and sprinkle mini marshmallows and more chopped walnuts on top!
- Enjoy. Every. Bite.
We’re getting the chocolate S’mores flavor into the filling by way of Nutella and softened butter. Mix these together to make a perfectly creamy filling!
Why not just use straight Nutella? When Nutella gets heated past a certain point, it will dry and harden. If we only used Nutella for the filling, it would dry up when baked and would lose that delicious chocolate flavor we need. By mixing it with a bit of softened butter, we can make sure that the Nutella will stay nice and creamy when baked.
The Graham Cracker
This element is one that makes all the difference in how this recipe ties into a S’more variation! Spreading on just a bit of Biscoff Cookie Butter gives these sweet rolls that kick of cookie flavor in each and every bite! Cookie Butter is a spread made from ground-up spice cookies called speculoos, created in Europe. If you’ve enjoyed it, then you know – it’s so delicious, spiced and creamy! It’s the perfect spread to give that cookie flavor!
This is the first step in frosting. Be sure to wait until the rolls have cooled completely before spreading this on – you don’t want that cookie butter melt away! The marshmallow topping is next!!
What’s a S’more without that toasty, gooey marshmallow?! Adding a heaping scoop of Marshmallow Creme to my classic Cream Cheese Frosting gives the perfect hint of marshmallow flavor! It adds a fluffy, whipped texture to an otherwise rich and thick frosting.
We eat with our eyes first! Let’s make that presentation beautiful by drizzling on more of that Nutella filling for an extra boost of chocolate in every bite! Finish up by sprinkling on mini marshmallow and more chopped walnuts.
This is the stuff S’more dreams are made of!
Since these are so rich and sinful, I usually like to make them in a mini size…although, I do usually end up eating two or three…
Be sure to make these and tag me on Instagram @thatbreadlady. I’d love to see how you’re making this recipe your own!
Other Recipes to try:
New to Bread Making?
Do you love creating in the kitchen and want to be part of my baking community?
Are you a beginner bread maker and don’t know where to start?
Lots of other bakers like you have joined my BAKING ACADEMY! We chat back and forth through my private Instagram account, reserved just for my Members. We have weekly Instagram Live baking discussions and I give bonus recipe demos! We’re making friends as we study, master and experiment with new recipes each week – becoming better bakers bit by bit! Go HERE to learn about how you can be part of this fun and delicious community of bakers!
This sweet roll is the perfect celebration of all the S’mores flavors! It’s filled with a creamy Nutella mixture and topped with lots of sweet layers like Biscoff, a marshmallow cream frosting and even more Nutella! This rich sweet roll is a S’mores lover’s dream! Use my Master Roll Dough for a fluffy rich bread dough!
- Prep Time: 3 hours
- Cook Time: 22 minutes
- Total Time: 3 hours 22 minutes
- Yield: 18 large rolls or 54 mini rolls 1x
- 1 batch (about 50 ounces) of my prepared Master Roll Dough
- 3/4 cup (170g) unsalted butter, softened and divided
- 1 cup (294g) Nutella hazelnut spread
- 2 Tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup (148g) Biscoff cookie butter
- 1 cup unsalted butter (226g), softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups (681g) powdered sugar
- 1–2 Tablespoons milk (2% or whole), as needed for consistency
- 1 cup (128g) Marshmallow Creme
- 1/2 cup mini (43g) marshmallows, for topping
For the Dough:
- Prepare a batch of my Master Roll Dough
- Spray a medium bowl with nonstick spray. Place dough in bowl and cover with a clean kitchen towel. Allow to rise until double in size, about 1-2 hours.
Make the Filling:
- With a handheld mixer, cream the softened butter and Nutella until smooth. Reserve 1/2 cup for topping. Set aside.
It’s time to roll.
- Turn dough out onto a floured work surface. Divide dough into two equal portions, about 28-30 ounces each.
- Roll dough out to a rectangular shape, about 10 inches by 18 inches.
- Spread the Nutella filling on the dough, leaving an inch border on the top side of the rectangle. Sprinkle 1 Tablespoon of cinnamon on top. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of walnuts evenly over filling.
- Start with the long side, closest to you and working from left to right begin to roll dough up. You can tug and pull as you go which will tighten the roll and make more swirls. You should end at the side with the clean border. Pull that edge over and pinch the seam shut, creating a seal.
- Using a piece of floss or baker’s twine, slide it under the roll, bring the ends of the floss up, cross them over and tug to cut through the dough making a 2-inch-wide cinnamon roll. Continue to cut to get 9 equal sized rolls.
- Place rolls on prepared baking sheet about 1-2 inches apart.
- Repeat steps 2-6 for the second dough ball.
- Cover with clean kitchen towel and let rise until doubled in size, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 18-22 minutes or until edges are just golden brown. Allow to cool before frosting.
Make the frosting:
- In a stand mixer, cream together the butter, cream cheese and vanilla until smooth.
- On low speed, gradually add the powdered sugar. Add just enough milk for desired consistency.
- Fold in the Marshmallow Fluff until just combined.
Topping the Rolls:
- Spread a spoonful of the Biscoff spread on top of each of the baked and cooled rolls.
- Frost generously with the frosting. Spoon reserved Nutella filling in a plastic zip bag and clip the corner. Applying light pressure, drizzle the Nutella mixture over the frosting. Sprinkle remaining walnuts and mini marshmallows on top. Serve and enjoy!
- To make mini rolls, divide dough into one third the regular weight/size and roll out as directed. For example, instead of rolling out a 28-30oz dough ball, roll out a 13oz dough ball, but divide it into one dozen rolls. This will give you the mini size. Rise time may be slightly less. Decrease bake time by 2 minutes.
- This recipe will mix up well in a KitchenAid type stand mixer. If doubling this recipe, you’ll need a larger capacity mixer like a Bosch. All ingredients double except for the instant yeast – use 2 Tablespoons instant yeast when doubling this recipe.